John King Books, like most reputable book stores, has free book racks in the atrium of their colossal warehouse. After I purchased my ephemera I partook of the offer to take as many free books as I wished. Within the books The King's Minion by Rafael Sabatini (1930) and Treading the Winepress by Ralph Connor (1925) was the book trade label "The Sign of the Mermaid". Intrigued, I did some research. It traces to a bookshop at 1014 E. Jefferson Avenue of Detroit. The book store by that same name opened around October 23, 1925 and was operated by Doris McMillan Pittman (later Hoover), granddaughter of Senator James McMillan, in the converted home of her late father William C. McMillan. The Yale Alumni Weekly , October 23, 1925 Her initial business partners were E. Byrne Hackett, Phelps Newberry and Edwin K. Hoover (later her third husband). Newly graduated Yale alumnus Clayton Morse, Jr. was the manager. An article in The Yale Alumni Weekly from October 23, 1925 stated th...


Comments
Post a Comment